Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sharing Micah's Words from Adonai

Today I read from the prophet Micah.  I would like to share a few of the verses. 

Micah 6:8 tells us that man has been shown what the Lord requires of us: 

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and to love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God? *

To walk humbly signifies we walk with Adonai in modesty, decency, chastity, and purity. 

The next passage in Micah 7:7-9 acknowledges Israel's readiness to bear God's punishment until such time as he will have paid for his guilt and again deserve God's favor **:

But as for me, I will look to the Lord and confident in Him I will keep watch; I will wait with hope and expectancy for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not against me, O my enemy! When I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord shall be a light to me. I will bear the indignation of the Lord because I have sinned against Him, until He pleads my cause and executes judgment for me. He will bring me forth to the light, and I shall behold His righteous deliverance. **

When we sin individually, forgiveness comes with confession and repentance, but stiff-neckedness and unrepentance brings forth punishment, just as a parent corrects a beloved child, so HaShem corrects those whom He loves. 

The third passage in Micah 7:18-20 extols upon some of Adonai's Attributes:

Who is a God like You, Who forgives iniquity and passes over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He retains not His anger forever, because He delights in mercy and loving-kindness. He will again have compassion on us; He will subdue and tread underfoot our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. You will show Your faithfulness and perform the sure promise to Jacob and loving-kindness and mercy to Abraham, as You have sworn to our fathers from the days of old.  *

Just as HaShem casts our sins into the depths, so ought we be willing to cast the sins of those that have sinned against us into the depths. 

May we all walk humbly with our God.


*Amplified Bible
*Soncino Books of the Bible, in the book of The Twelve Prophets

No comments:

Post a Comment